Monday 4 November 2013

Sunday 3rd November 2013 – Biggin Hill

 
Whilst the rest of the KVK were snoozing Toni dragged her Dad out of bed for a short ride........
 

On Sunday (far too early) morning I was at Biggin Hill for the Evans Ride-It sportive with my Dad.  We had signed up for the “short” route of 30 (actually more like 32) miles.  After registering and getting our free pack of High 5 energy products (yuk!) and cool timing chip that stuck to your helmet we joined the queue for the start – it was really windy and freezing despite winter gloves and woolly liner gloves but at least it wasn’t raining.  I think I was the youngest there – everyone else was really old.  Then we were off and settled into the ride.  What a lot of hills there are in Surrey; where are the flat roads (apparently there was approx. 2,500 feet of climbing on this route).  At least we warmed up.  I was really pleased that I made it up all the hills without stopping and even overtook some adults on a really big hill.  Some got off to walk!  If only I had remembered I had a triple chainring sooner it would have been so much easier (lol).  The feed station was at about 21 miles but I didn’t want anything except water (Dad tucked in to the flapjacks, brownies and jelly babies of course) and then we were on the final push (more hills – annoying MTB rider who used us to get up the steep hill without doing any work and then sped off).  So pleased to see the finish just as it started to rain.  My time was 3 hours 10 minutes (which included a few stops to eat energy bars - liked the coconut one but not the chocolate - and an unplanned dismount - oops).  At least I beat Dad - by 3 seconds!!  Really enjoyed the Snickers at the end. Very pleased I did it – I just need to sleep for a week now. 
 
Here’s a picture of me at the finish.



Still smiling after a hilly 30 mile ride


 

No comments:

Post a Comment